I not implying this is a must win game for Memphis..........I am saying out right that this is a must win game for Memphis.
Memphis only has a handful of games that will make a difference in the RPI and the eyes of the NCAA Tournament Committee. So far they are 1 and 2 in those games (Georgia Tech - Loss, Kentucky - Win, Tennessee - Loss).
After tonight the Tigers only have Gonzaga (on the road where the Zags never, and I repeat never lose).
Unfortunately, Conference USA is still pretty weak with Houston a lowly #122 in the RPI and UTEP #222 (poor Tony Barbee). Yes, there are a few bright spots - SMU #29, UAB #36, Tulsa #78, but I'm not convinced those numbers can stay there.
Keys to victory
1) Must shoot better than 30% from 3 point range
2) Must shoot better than 65% from the foul line
3) Must limit turnovers to under 13
4) Must get 14 points and 14 boards from Dorsey/Cooper combination
5) Must get double figures from CDR, Anderson and Hunt