Search This Blog

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Post Game Quotes

Memphis Head Coach John Calipari

"I liked our effort. I liked the fact that we played fast and had 12 turnovers. There are still some things I'm sure I will see on the tape that I won't like. But, defensively we did some good things, and we broke down a few times. The biggest thing I saw was that we need to do a better job rebounding the ball. Against good teams, you can't give up two and three shots at the basket. That's what we did, especially in the first half.

At the end of the first half, I told them that we gave them too many opportunities to rebound the ball. I thought Jeremy Hunt played well. I thought Antonio does what he does, he goes out and plays. Poor Willie (Kemp) was 1-for-9 from the floor and missed like seven lay-ups, and I'm half laughing at him. But, he didn't stop. He tips a ball away and gets five assists in the first half. I could tell after shoot-around, he was feeling it.

I just told them it's a business trip. Last year, we had the same kind of trip and we took care of business. We put ourselves in a position so, that by the end of the year, we could do what we did. This is going to be harder. It's three days of games against three teams that all could beat us. These are teams that, if we play too fast and we can't get them playing fast, it becomes a bit of a UCLA (NCAA Tournament) game for us.

Jackson State Head Coach Tevester Anderson

"Memphis has a very outstanding basketball team. They play good offense and defense. When you get 56 rebounds and 26 are offensive rebounds, you are doing something right. Our guys hung in there and played hard. We did the best we could, but I have to tip my hat to the University of Memphis.

In the second half, Memphis really turned it on. John Calipari knew we played seven games (tough schedule) back-to-back and knew we were exhausted, and Memphis took advantage. Memphis shot the ball well tonight (they have good shooters) and our defense was not as good as it has been. "

No comments: