Search This Blog

Thursday, April 23, 2009

MemphisRoar - Latavious Williams has a Final Two


From MemphisRoar

Williams has a Final Two
Posted by Brooks On April - 22 - 2009

Latavious Williams, originally from Starkville, MS, throws down a rim-rocker
As we first reported earlier today, Josh Pastner visited 2009 SF prospect Latavious Williams. Williams, who is currently at Humble Christian Life Academy in Texas, is a top target for the Tigers and the heat is definitely being turned up in the final weeks of his recruitment.

“Josh came in yesterday and it went pretty well. He and I know each other really well. He just sat in on my practice and everything and we talked. He had to go back to Memphis though, but we talked later that night too,” said Williams when asked about how the visit went.

Going into today, the common schools mentioned in connection with Williams were Memphis, Baylor, Georgtown, and Kansas State, but he told us that that list of suitors has now been trimmed. “It’s Memphis and Georgetown. They’re my final two,” replied Williams.

When asked why those two are his final two, Williams said, “At Memphis, I can come in right away and play my style of play. Play fast. At Georgetown it’s the same type of thing. They are telling me and my coach they don’t have anyone at my spot. So I feel like I can go up there and make a big impact.”

Georgetown’s claim that the don’t have anyone at Williams’ spot took a small hit today when 6′8″ 215lbs Jerrelle Benimon committed to the Hoyas.

With so many people wondering if there will be a drop-off from Calipari’s ability and Pastner’s ability to recruit, Williams cleared the air and made a statement that should give Memphis fans confidence going forward that they got the right man for the job.

“I loved the decision of Coach Pastner becoming the new head coach. When Cal was there, I was mostly talking to Josh anyways,” Williams said. ” He just goes out and gets the best players. I think he’s a great and honest guy. That’s big for him to be moved up to the head coaching job.”

To give an insight into the type of player that the Tigers or the Hoyas may be getting, Williams wanted to relay a message to our readers.

“I feel like I can make an impact. My game is really an up and down style. I play fast. Get it up and down. I can shoot the outside jumper and I can finish at the rim,” added Williams.

In terms of a timeline, Latavious said, “I would say in the next two weeks or so. Maybe a week.”

1 comment: