Search This Blog

Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Catch, The Shot and a Broken Heart



The Catch................

Yeah, I know, you have no idea what I am talking about. The catch came on the day that I lost real interest in profressional football 26 years ago. You see, growing up in Memphis in the 1970's most young boys were fans of the Dallas Cowboys. I was in awe of Tom Landry, Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, D.D. Lewis, etc.

The catch broke my heart. The catch was on January 10, 1982 when Dwight Clark of the San Francisco 49ers caught the touchdown to win the NFC Championship.

Right then I lost interest in pro football. I was broken hearted.

Well, now it has happened again and this time it is "the shot". Yes, this one you know - Mario Chalmers.

No, I don't think I'll lose interest in Tiger basketball or even in college basketball. I love both and always will.

But, this one is going to be hard. I just keep reliving the last two minutes in my head over and over.

The steal and 3 pointer on the inbounds play by Sherron Collins, the foul by Dorsey, the missed front end of a one and one by CDR, the loose ball scramble when Taggart should have called timeout, the back to back misses by CDR on the foul line, the miss by Rose with 10 seconds, the no-call time out, the foul that never came as Sherron Collins drove up the court and "the shot" by Chalmers.

I think I need to hear that Tyreke Evans is coming.......................

No comments: