Search This Blog

Monday, December 17, 2007

My Thoughts on the Tigers Win Over MTSU


I'll admit that I am as happy as anyone to see Robert Dozier and Antonio Anderson playing so well. Dozier probably had his best back-to-back games since his freshman year and Anderson played the solid across the board game that we saw all of last year (he even hit a three from the corner on a nice feed from Rose in the second half). Anderson still frustrates me to death when he goes to the free throw line and misses two shots - remember he is a guard - guards are supposed to be 70+% from the line, the guys you want on the line at the end of the game (yes, yes, I remember the Alamodome, but I also POINT GUARD Darius Washington Jr. missing 2 of 3 that kept Memphis out of the NCAAs three years ago).

Anyway, ok here are my grades.

Joey Dorsey (A+) - Wow!, very nice all around game. Save for the over the back foul in the lane for a rebound and it was basically perfect (ok, too many turnovers). But still, 4 for 4 from the field, 3 of 5 from the line, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks and only 2 personals in 25 minutes - I'll take it.

Shawn Taggard (A+) - Ok, this is getting to be a trend I like. Two excellent games back to back. What a stat line - 11 points on 5 of 7 shooting, 3 boards in 17 minutes. Ok, maybe a bit light on the boards, but it is hard to grab any when Joey gets 12 and Dozier nabs 7 more.

Robert Dozier (A+) - Yes, I like it. 5 Blocks, 6 steals and 2 assists, yes you read that right, to go along with 11 points and 7 boards. I'd probably give him an A++ except for for only going 5 of 11 from the field.

NOW THAT IS A FRONT LINE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, MTSU isn't USC or UCLA or Georgetown, but still it is nice to have some guys step up when CDR and Rose can't either get the ball or can shoot it when they get it.

And in the case of CDR (C-), I just think he can't shake loose from the defender in the triangle and two. At least he recognized it Saturday night and only took five shots. What is disappointing with Chris is that he seems to be missing in the other phases of the game (the areas where Antonio Anderson (B+) tends to excel).

It wasn't a great game for the guards at all. Will someone please hit an outside shot. And I don't mean Andre Allen's prayer at the end of the 1st half. I seriously doubt that was the intended play of Cal's time out set.

Derrick Rose (C-)
Willie Kemp (C-)
Andre Allen (D)
Doneal Mack (C+)

Overall, I'll give the team defense a strong A-, but the offense was a sub-par C-. You can't say the offense was successful when your two best offensive players combine for nine points. Also, 4 of 19 from 3 point is just plain bad. That is not representative of top 10 team especially against a mid-tier Sun Belt team.

No comments: