Search This Blog

Friday, August 11, 2006

Former Tiger Antonio Burks Weighs His Options

Ex-Griz Burks is weighing his options

By Ronald Tillery, Memphis Commercial Appeal

August 8, 2006

Former Grizzly Antonio Burks sits, waits and counts.

Burks, a Memphis native, says four NBA teams have expressed interest in him. He acknowledges that the NBA's development league and Europe are among three options.

Yet the 6-foot point guard sounds convinced that he'll get a second chance to prove that his first NBA suitor was wrong. The Grizzlies chose not to re-sign Burks after two seasons.

"But I know where I'm supposed to be," Burks said Monday. "I'll get back. I'm just waiting on those (other) teams to decide."

Burks played in 81 regular-season games over two seasons with the Grizzlies. He averaged 2.3 points, 1.3 assists and 9.7 minutes. Revered for his hard-nosed defense and end-to-end quickness, Burks eventually fell out of favor partly because of offensive struggles.

"I've been working out and I feel good about my game," Burks said. "I've got my jump shot falling again."

If no NBA team makes him an offer, Burks is more inclined to play in the D-League rather than travel overseas. He's not ruling anything out, though.

That's a lesson Burks learned this summer.

If Burks had it to do again, he would have played summer-league ball.

"I didn't play in the summer league because the teams interested in me said I didn't need to," Burks said. "But I should have played so I wouldn't have to wait like this. That's OK. I still know where I'm supposed to be."

-- Ronald Tillery: 529-2353

No comments: