Search This Blog

Monday, July 03, 2006

Darius Washington Diary (Entry #4)

NBA Draft: Darius Washington Diary

Memphis point guard Darius Washington has until June 18th to announce his NBA Draft intentions. After averaging 13 ppg and 3 apg in just 26 mpg during his sophomore season, the Florida native is hoping to work his way into the First Round. For now, he checks in with CHN during this busy workout period.

Journal Entry #4 - Undrafted But not Defeated - July 2nd, 2006

As many of you know by now, my name was not called on draft night and as disappointed as I was that night in not having the prestige of being called I am not defeated. The dream to play in the NBA is still alive in me but instead of going in the draft like I had dreamed of doing I will have to make it as a free agent. Obviously, I still have a lot to prove. I know that but I will not let the draft discourage me.

I do not regret my decision to enter the draft and no one can say otherwise. There isn't one person that went in the draft that is guaranteed to be there in 5 or 10 years so lets say one of them doesn't get resigned down the road did they make a bad decision? Did the draft determine their future?

The draft wasn't the be all end all to my life story. I am just 20 years old and one night will not determine my future. It only changes the path I have to take to make my dream come true. When I woke up on Thursday, my dad came in and told me "Guess what? The sun came out this morning lets get to it." He's right. The only thing we know for certain is that the sun will come out everyday and as long as there is a tomorrow we got a chance. I got up, went to the gym and worked out. Life goes on.

Time truly will tell. I'm not going to give up because my name wasn't called. I am going to fight harder for my dream. It only fuels my motivation to make it. Who can say that the same thing wouldn't have happened after my senior year in college or after high school? I can sit here all day and think of all the what ifs but you know it doesn't change what happened and it doesn't get me any closer to playing in the NBA. Sometimes you just have to make a decision right and go for it.

Only time will tell.

I will continue to keep journal entries through the summer as a free agent on my personal website at www.DWash.net and will check back with CollegeHoops.net to let them know how I am doing from time to time.

Thanks for the support,Darius Washington

No comments: